Thursday, March 17, 2011

Colcannon Potatoes


Ok. I made these according to the directions and I got soup. Well, not really, but I hate sloppy mashed potatoes and these were sloppy. I shall help you to not make Colcannon soup. Slice up some cabbage...



And dice up some potatoes...


Boil the cabbage, drain it and boil the potatoes in the water you cooked the cabbage in.
And then I dumped them all back in the pot together and stuck some butter on top to melt.



Mash the cabbage and potatoes together, and add salt and pepper to taste. I don't know what the deal was with these, but you can see how soupy they look already before I even added the milk! *SIGH*


Pour in the milk/onion mixture and then hide the whole thing under a deep layer of cooked crumbled bacon. ;)


2 lbs. cabbage, shredded
2 C. water
4 lbs. potatoes, peeled & diced
Milk
3 T. minced onion
Salt
Fresh coarsely ground pepper
Butter (I used about 1/3 C.)
Crumbled cooked bacon

Bring the cabbage and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain cabbage and reserve liquid. Bring liquid back to a boil and add the potatoes; cook until tender. Drain and keep warm. Bring about 3/4 - 1 C. milk and the onion to a boil. Mash the potatoes and cabbage in a large bowl. Add milk & onions and butter; beat until blended. Add salt & pepper to taste. (I used 1  1/4 tsp. salt.) Top with bacon and parsley if so desired. I had no parsley so I didn't use it, and I love bacon so I used the whole 12 oz. package to cover the 3 qt. casserole dish I put the 'tatoes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment