Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Mushroom Swiss Burgers


I love Mushroom Swiss burgers. I love the Angus ones at McDonald's, I love the ones from DQ and from Hardees and from that little truck stop in the town who's name I can't remember in Montana that Reece didn't even know was there until I was in the truck with him in February and I love them from the Stamart in Fargo. But now I am forever ruined I fear... I made them myself at home. And I made up my own recipe because I couldn't find anything I liked anywhere online. *sigh* That's okay. These things are GOOD!!! Rosie even liked them and she doesn't like hamburgers very much! :D I also added onion, 'cause I've always felt that the onions were the only thing lacking in the ones I eat in the restaurants.

Obviously you can adjust the amount of meat you use... I made a bunch so I could have some leftover for the next time the Mushroom Swiss urge strikes my left taste bud.

2 lbs. hamburger

Mushroom sauce:
5 T. butter
1/2 medium onion, sliced in 1/4" rings -I also sliced the rings in half
1 lb. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
1 pkg. brown gravy mix -and there is a healthy version out there! Azure Standard sells it!
2 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 1  1/2 C. water
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
Salt -if you need it
Flour if your sauce isn't thick enough for you

Mayonnaise
Swiss Cheese
Hamburger buns

Melt the butter and saute the onions and mushrooms until the mushrooms are cooked. Sprinkle with the brown gravy mix and stir it all together so there are no clumps to be seen. Pour in the water and stir until smooth, add the Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt if you need it. Cook until thick. If your sauce isn't the consistency you like, add flour mixed with a little water so you don't end up with clumps. Keep warm while you grill your burgers. I used my George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine. :D I didn't add and salt or pepper to the burgers when I cooked them and they tasted perfect. When the burgers are all cooked, lay them on a cookie sheet, top with a couple T. of mushroom sauce and top with a slice of Swiss cheese. Bake at 450 degrees for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Spread both sides of your hamburger bun with mayo, top with the burger and eat with Great Gusto. (Whoever HE is!;)

No comments:

Post a Comment