Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Layered Potato Casserole



I wanted to use up my hamburger and I wanted to use potatoes. But I DIDN'T want to make mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy like I always do when I don't know what to make for supper. So I googled hamburger potato recipes. And I found a casserole that would now be considered a cousin of this one. It was apparently made by someone afraid of using spices. And afraid of using things like onion, corn, mushrooms, garlic powder... you kinda get the point. So I added some things. And now there's gonna be a Hamburger Potato Casserole family reunion in 2 weeks. You're invited.

Here's the seasonings I used.

And here's the stuff for the sauce. I didn't take any pictures of the main ingredients, because my husband might look at this blog and then he'd be forever scared of this casserole. I will ignore him tho', because Rosie said "This is REALLY GOOD food, Mommy!!" when she was eating hers. :D


And for some reason I forgot to take a picture of the sliced potatoes, so just imagine them down there on the bottom of this. Under the onion soup mix, pepper, salt, corn, hamburger & sauce.


Here's the layers from the side.


This is what it looks like before heading to the oven to cook it's life away.


And here's the recipe:
1 - 1  1/2 lbs. hamburger
1 smallish onion, minced
1 -1  1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. mushrooms, sliced -or minced if you're serving to non-mushroom people ;)
3 C. peeled, thinly sliced potatoes
1 packet onion soup mix
2 C. frozen corn
1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1/2 C. milk
2 T. mayonnaise
2 T. sour cream
Salt
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Mrs. Dash
1/4 C. milk
1  1/2 - 2 C. shredded cheese

  Brown the hamburger with the salt and onions. Add the minced mushrooms so Reece can't see them. Cook until the onions are tender.
  In a medium bowl mix together the can of soup, 1/2 C. milk, mayonnaise, sour cream and salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder & Mrs. Dash to taste.
  In a 2 qt. casserole dish, layer half the potatoes, half the onion soup mix, some pepper & salt, half the corn, half the hamburger mixture and half the sauce. Repeat layers. Pour the remaining 1/4 C. milk evenly over the top. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven, top with cheese -I used the Four Cheese Mexican blend- and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes more. Take it out of the oven and let set for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment