Thursday, February 3, 2011

My Version of Reece's Chili

I haven't posted any recipes for a few days because we were busy eating leftovers. LOL! Anyway, I was gonna make these chicken strips  for supper tonight, but then I saw that it should be soaked forever so I decided to make chili. So here ya go...


Brown the hamburger and onions with some salt. Why do high faluty people insist on calling it 'ground beef'? Does that make it taste better to them or something?



Dump 4 cans of beans into your crockpot. I used Blackeye Peas, Black Beans and Navy Beans. Or you can mix and match whatever kind you want. I just like the look it gives with all the different kinds together.


Add a quart of tomatoes. These ones were actually diced, but I also use the ones I chopped in the food processor so Reece can't complain about huge chunks of tomato scaring him.


Add 2 packets of chili seasoning. No that's not too many. There isn't any seasoning in the beans so you need two or it'll taste like some truck stops out in Washington who's names we won't mention...




Add the hamburger and stir it all up. Turn the crockpot on high until it starts cooking ferociously then add salt and onion powder to taste. Leave it on low until you eat. Reece loves it with the corn we froze last summer. Someone remind me to post that recipe when we're doing corn this summer! ;)


1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 medium onion, minced
2 (15.8 oz.) cans Blackeye Peas
1 (16 oz.) can Navy Beans
1 (15 oz.) can Black Beans
1 qt. diced or half-pureed tomatoes
2 pkgs. McCormick Original Chili seasoning
Salt, 1-2 tsp.
Onion powder, 1/2-1 tsp. depending on what your taste buds say

Brown the hamburger, 1 1/2 tsp. salt and the onion. Stick everything in the crockpot and turn on high until it's heated through and starts boiling. Taste it and add more salt or onion powder or both to taste. Turn to low and cook until you're ready to eat. I usually start it about noon and we eat at like 5 or 6... or 7 or 8. Sometimes ever 9 for some stupid reason. Actually, I'm kidding about the 9 o'clock part. :D

1 comment: