Monday, March 4, 2013

Reece's Soup

I was doing taxes today. This means that I sat in front of my computer shouting questions at my husband who was digging in the fridge and freezer because he was bored and thought supper should be getting made. He found the Schwans Philly Steak that was leftover from the last Philly Steak Pizza I made, the final bag of our frozen sweet corn and then he saw the hamburger I had thawed out on the counter. He decided that a hot dish needed to be made.

He started digging around in the vegetable drawers asking me about everything living there. (I nixed the radishes, LOL!) Finally, he decided on using mushrooms (which he professes will kill him, as you may remember,) red pepper, onion, carrots & potato. I talked him into using celery and then he chased me out o the kitchen while he happily chopped his veggies to death with my Pampered Chef food chopper. See, all those veggies would kill him if he could see them when he was eating, so they gotta be killed dead before cooking...

After chopping for ages at a volume I thought was sure to wake to offspring who were taking their naps he got his stuff together and I had to come tell him how much seasoning to add and which ones out of the 598 different bottles I have in my cupboard... So. Here's his goulash that turned into soup because he decided it needed the whole qt of beef broth so he wouldn't have to put any leftover away. ;)

1 1/2 lbs. hamburger
7 oz. Philly steak
2 lg. carrots
4 lg. potatoes
2 c. frozen corn
4 oz. baby Bella mushrooms
1/2 med. red pepper
1 1/2 stalks celery
1 lg. onion
1 lg. clove garlic
3 T. butter
3 t. salt (+/-)
Pepper
Onion powder
Garlic powder
Mrs. Dash
1 qt. beef broth

Chop the carrots, red pepper, celery, onion, garlic & mushrooms to death and then sauté in butter until tender. (I actually pressed the garlic for him;)) Transfer to a big bowl, add the corn. Melt a little bit more butter & fry the Philly steak according to pkg. directions. Sprinkle with some salt & pepper while frying. Transfer to bowl with veggies that will kill you. Peel & dice the potatoes. Shove into famous bowl. Brown hamburger. Add to same bowl. Pour in the beef broth. Add salt & seasonings to taste. Transfer to a Dutch oven and bake at 375 degrees for an hour or so, until the potatoes are tender. Taste test it after a half hour/45 minutes an adjust seasoning if needed. (Serve with free biscuits you got because you're a reefer driver and sometimes you get stuck with 31 CASES {120 per case I think it is} of biscuits to get rid of...)



2 comments:

  1. Your robot checker thing is funny. I could not read the 1st word at all so usually a number so I 123 and the other word. It took it. Good for it.

    ReplyDelete