Saturday, August 11, 2012

Spicy Grilled BBQ Chicken

I got this recipe from my Taste of Home app on my phone... I really shouldn't have a Taste of Home app on my phone. Now I can look up recipes without even going to my cookbook bookcase! And if you know anything about me, you know I spend much too much time reading cookbooks as it is!!

Whatever the sorry excuse is, this is an awesome recipe!! I'll take a picture sometime and post it if you really want one. ;) The sauce for this is actually for 2 while chickens, but we don't eat THAT much chicken!! I still make the full batch of sauce though, so next time I make chicken I have it on hand! :D

1 boiler/fryer chicken (3 1/2-4 lbs.), cut up

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. ketchup
1/2 c. water
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. + 2 t. chili powder
2 T. + 2 t. prepared brown or horseradish mustard
1 t. salt
1/4-1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes ( used 1/4 and it's plenty warm for us!)

Combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Grill the chicken, covered, over medium heat for 40 minutes (or until almost done) turning several times. Pour some sauce into a smallish bowl and baste the chicken. Grill 5-10 minutes longer until juices run clear.

Serve with additional sauce if you like and put the rest in a jar for the next time you make something and need awesome sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment